Online Services

Online Vehicle Registration Renewal Online Property Tax, Water & Sewer payments Online Dog License Renewals Vital Record Request
GIS & Property Database

View of Carroll from Sugarloaf

Minutes of Town Board Meetings

Minutes of 4/9/2018

April 12th, 2018

Carroll Board of Selectmen
Meeting Minutes
April 9, 2018


“These minutes of the Town of Carroll Select Board have been recorded by its Secretary. Though believed to be accurate and correct they are subject to additions, deletions and corrections by the Select Board at its next meeting when the Board votes its final approval of the minutes. They are being made available at this time to conform to the requirements of New Hampshire RSA 91-A:2.”

Minutes recorded by Maryclare H. Quigley, Secretary

Board members present: David Scalley, Brian P. Mycko, Bonnie J. Moroney

Members of the public present: Michael Hogan, Dianne Hogan, Debbie Szauter, Imre Szauter, Chris Pappas, Jeremy Oleson, Rob Gauthier, Jason Sullivan, Mary Sullivan, Wayne Mycko, Patricia Mycko, Rob Gauthier

The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m. by Chairman Scalley.

Pledge of Allegiance

The Chair announced the approval and signing of the manifests.

Selectman Moroney made a motion to approve the minutes of April 2, 2018. It was seconded by Selectman Mycko and passed unanimously.

Selectman Moroney said it had been the feeling of various Boards through the years that there may be some landlords who were abusing the system regarding their rental units; both in knowing the cost might not be affordable for the renter and in taking advantage of the renter by saying or implying that certain things are included in the rent when they either are not or don’t work. In several of these cases, the renter has had to turn to the Town for assistance. The Secretary had been asked to research to find out if there is any way the Town might address these situations. She said she contacted Legal Affairs with NHMA and was told that there isn’t anything that may be done directly. However, as we always have, we have the right to inspect the premises and insure that they are all compliant with building, fire, health and safety codes. Though we already follow the International Building Code, we can adopt housing code standards of our own which may be more stringent. We were cautioned that whatever we do, we must make sure that it applies to every rental property and landlord.

The Profile Cable Consortium, of which the Town is a member, had contacted the Board about a meeting on April 12, in Littleton, at which we must have a representative. As our previous Rep had resigned, we are without one currently, and Chairman Scalley asked if there was anyone in attendance who might be able to take the position. Rob Gauthier volunteered to do this and the Board expressed their gratitude to him. Mr. Gauthier was also reminded about the meeting on Thursday, April 12, at 6 p.m. in Littleton. The Secretary said she would let the Consortium know that we have a new representative.

The following was approved and signed:

Intent to Excavate -- Brooks

Follow Up:

PD Lease Renewal – This will be ready later in the month
Tax Deeded Property – The Tax Collector is working on this and will have costs, etc. at a
later time.

Other:

Selectman Moroney said she is hoping to revive the Newsletter put out quarterly by the Select Board until several years ago. She is hoping to have it finished for copying/printing in mid-May and was asking if there was a date for the Building Committee meetings to begin again. She also said she has the Pancake Breakfast schedule for it and reiterated that this is a good way to convey information in Town. Selectman Moroney asked that anyone with items to be added to please contact her.

Selectman Moroney said she will have information on the Coalition Communities for the next meeting.

Discussion arose about repairs or work that needs to be done in town buildings. Selectman Moroney said the Fire Auxiliary and Chief Oleson have already spoken about moving a cabinet away from the grill and putting up metal or something in the kitchen at the Fire Station. Chairman Scalley said he was opposed to spending a lot of money on the buildings, but as long as it’s not a big expense, he’s okay with it. Chief Oleson said the Auxiliary will buy the extinguisher and they need someone to cut out the piece and put in metal for protection. He said this is something that’s reasonable for now, to get them through for another year. He said he is no longer willing to let this slip by as he’s concerned about the safety and emergency egress for the cooks if there is a fire at the grill. Chairman Scalley said the Selectmen will look for the money for this.

It was stated that the Donor Town bill did not pass the Ways & Means Committee. However, it can come back. Selectman Moroney said she received an email from Edith Tucker who feels it won’t pass in the House, but it was also noted that not only are they using this for schools but are talking about doing it for the general budget.

Michael Hogan said the Planning Board has scheduled this summer for the re-write of the Ordinance so it may then go to the public for voting next March. They have scheduled Tuesday, May 8, at 7 p.m. for a public hearing for the Site Plan and Sub-Division updates.

Rob Gauthier asked about the earlier discussion about landlords/tenants as he didn’t understand it. He was told it was to protect the town and tenants who move into buildings which haven’t necessarily been taken very good care of by the landlords. An example was that even though expected, there was no boiler so they had to rely on electric heat, which then caused an extremely high electric bill. Chief Oleson said there was a case in Tilton where the Town did not have to give assistance in such cases and said he would send the email. Selectman Mycko asked that it be sent to all Selectmen when it’s received. Mr. Gauthier thanked the Board.

Rob Gauthier then referred to two articles from NHMA’s Town and City Magazine: one from 2004, regarding abstaining from voting and the consequences which can include loss of credibility among citizens as well as giving the appearance of impropriety; and another from 2017, which states there are few if any reasons a member should abstain from voting for or against, as Board members are elected to make decisions. Mr. Gauthier told the Secretary he would give her copies of the articles.

Chairman Scalley said the next meeting will be Monday, April 23, 2018.

As there was no further business, the Board was polled and went into non-public session, per RSA 91-A-3 for town aid and personnel at 7:21 p.m. Chairman Scalley, yes; Selectman Mycko, yes; Selectman Moroney, yes.

At the close of non-public session at 7:47 p.m., Selectman Moroney moved to return to public session and seal the minutes from non-public session. Selectman Mycko seconded and the Motion passed unanimously.

There being no further discussion, Selectman Moroney made a Motion to adjourn the meeting. Selectman Mycko seconded and the Motion passed unanimously. Chairman Scalley declared the meeting ended at 7:48 p.m.