Online Services

Online Vehicle Registration Renewal Online Property Tax, Water & Sewer payments Online Dog License Renewals Vital Record Request
GIS & Property Database

View of Carroll from Sugarloaf

Minutes of Town Board Meetings

Search Minutes of Town Board Meetings

2018 Select Board Archives

Older Archives

Minutes of 9/24/2018

October 3rd, 2018

Carroll Board of Selectmen
Meeting Minutes
September 24, 2018


“These minutes of the Town of Carroll Select Board have been recorded by its Secretary. Though believed to be accurate and correct they are subject to additions, deletions and corrections by the Select Board at its next meeting when the Board votes its final approval of the minutes. They are being made available at this time to conform to the requirements of New Hampshire RSA 91-A:2.”

Minutes recorded by Maryclare H. Quigley, Secretary

Board members present: David A. Scalley, Brian P. Mycko, Bonnie J. Moroney

Members of the Public Present: Wayne Mycko, Patricia Mycko, Patricia Martin, Robert Martin, Imre Szauter, Debbie Szauter, Dianne Hogan, Michael Hogan, Jason Sullivan, Cpl. Hennessey

The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m. by Chairman Scalley.

Pledge of Allegiance.

The Chair announced the approval and signing of the manifests.

Selectman Moroney made a Motion to approve the minutes of September 10, 2018 and seconded by Selectman Mycko. The Motion passed unanimously.

Imre Szauter reported on behalf of the Building Committee. He stated they had a meeting
Selectmen 20, with 19 members and guests attending. Project Manager Allan Clark provided an updated task list with emphasis on marketing the project with one-on-one contact by Committee members with residents and businesses. Vice Chair Mike Finn discussed the project tracking list and looked for Members to volunteer for those tasks where they have interest. Mr. Finn reviewed the draft Q & A list, an example tax rate table and a voter “ride to the polls” sign up process; as well as an invitation arranged by Member Terry Penner and himself for the Committee to make a presentation at the Bretton Woods Property Owners Association annual meeting on October 13.

The Committee voted to hold Informational sessions on January 31, 2019, shortly before Town Deliberative Session and on February 28, prior to the Town Vote. The Committee accepted the offer to arrange video recording by Granite North Television (formerly “Channel 2”) from Justin Roshak from Salmon Press. This will also help to get information to those who do not attend the sessions. There was discussion about video-taping to highlight discrepancies in the three buildings. Mr. Clark suggested a short video presentation of the Franconia Public Safety building as few people were able to take the tours conducted earlier in the year. It was noted there will be changes to the NH voter absentee ballot process effective January 1, 2019, and that these should be highlighted at Deliberative Session. Mr. Szauter noted again that there has been no money spent from the amount approved by the Select Board. The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, October 11, at 9 a.m. in the Town Hall.

Chairman Scalley asked Mr. Szauter about invoices from Allan Clark as it appears that we have not received any to date. Mr. Szauter agreed that we had not received one and also noted due to being able to use much if not all of the same material and information, that Mr. Clark has spent much less time on the project than last year. Mr. Szauter reiterated that the Committee is resuming morning meetings. They had changed to evening meetings in response to comments that more people could/would attend them, however, it did not come to fruition. Mr. Szauter thanked Selectmen Moroney and Mycko who did attend the night meetings and who are the only people the change will affect.

The Board thanked Mr. Szauter for the report and for his work.

Robert Martin told the Board he and his wife would be closing on land on Mountain View Lane and are in hopes of installing a septic system as soon as they can. They are seeking permission to use their camper to stay in while they are building their new house. He said electric is already there. Because of the lack of time, their plan is to clear enough land this year for the septic and camper; next year clear the lot; and build the house the following year. Chairman Scalley said they will need to submit plans for their Building Permit which will be good for a year, but may be extended a year if needed. The Board approved the request to put their registered camper in once the septic system is installed. Mr. and Mrs. Martin thanked the Board and left.

The schedule for Budget Presentations prepared by the Secretary was approved by the Board. She noted the schedule would be emailed to all Department Heads and Committee Chairs and if there are any conflicts they can be amended. The first presentations will be October 22.

Chairman Scalley spoke about the two properties to be taken by tax deed. He said he had spoken with Legal at NHMA and there has been a case before the NH Supreme Court regarding excess proceeds from the sale of tax deeded property and whether they may be kept or must be sent to the former owner. Thus, he said he thinks we should go with $12,500 on each property, as discussed previously, and add any expenses incurred to that; i.e., administrative, maintenance, etc. for a final figure. Chairman Scalley asked the Secretary to check with the Town Clerk and once we have the figure to work up an ad for the paper. This should be sent to Town Counsel and be ready for the next Selectmen’s meeting for approval.



The following items were approved and signed:

Water Warrant – Powell
Water Warrant – Third Quarter Billing, 2018


Follow up item:

School Street Culvert – ongoing


Other:

It was noted there will be a Town Hall Committee Meeting on Monday, October 15, at 7 p.m. at the Town Hall. This will be to start discussion about what to do with the current building as not knowing what would happen to it was one of the reasons people voted against the project. Anyone with an interest in this building is encouraged to join the group.

Regarding the Police Chief Committee, Selectman Mycko said the Committee had their initial meeting and decided there should also be former law enforcements officer(s) from Town. They are asking John Gardiner and Bill Smalley to sit with the Committee.

When asked if he had been in contact with a CAI Tech regarding additional GIS software, Selectman Mycko said he had and it was all good.

Selectman Moroney announced there will be a meeting on Wednesday, October 17, about the 250th Anniversary of the Town, at 7 p.m. at the Town Hall. She said they had had some meetings a year or so ago and are now resuming them. Selectman Moroney said everyone is welcome and they hope a lot will come to help plan the big celebration!

Selectman Moroney reiterated that at the last Building Committee they discussed offering rides and setting up a phone number to call. She said it’s something to think about so it can be made well known and that she feels it should not be the Selectmen’s Office number as the staff is busy enough without having that, also.

Selectman Moroney went on to say with regard to the Cog Train display, that she was quite certain at the time it was being discussed and installed that the Chamber of Commerce and the Cog Railway agreed that they would take care of the maintenance. It was noted the only activity by the Town would be mowing which they had always taken care of anyway. Selectman Moroney said she would check minutes to verify and asked if the Secretary would do so as well.

Fire Chief, Jeremy Oleson, said at the Building Committee meeting a letter was why people voted “No” and one reason was because they would be getting a Ladder Truck and another was they need more fulltime members. Regarding the Truck, Chief Oleson said this is not a toy they are looking to have just because they want one; it’s starting to be a necessity for the safety of Department members as well as many others (falling off roofs, as an example)—for residents and guests, as well. He went on to say that he is not going to look for grants until there is a place to house. It’s lots and lots of work to apply and to much wasted time and effort if people are going to vote “no.”

Chief Oleson stated further that the Rescue Truck is due to be replaced in 2020 and as these are about $250,000 and are limited in use, they should be looking to get one that could do several other jobs. The Chief noted that the Ambulance has generated about a Million Dollars since it started.

Chief Oleson also said that he has not been to the Board looking for more fulltime people, though he cautioned that volunteer/call people numbers are going down. He has advised the Select Board of this on several occasions. He also said the Select Board has spoke to him about bringing on another fulltime person or a couple of part time people. With the changes/improvements at the Ski Area and 68 or 69 more rooms at the Hotel, the need for services also increases and we have to look at this seriously. Chief Oleson invited everyone to please come to the Department and find out what is done and/or needs to be done. He is happy to talk with anyone whenever he is not out on a call. Selectman Moroney said this is not just a local problem; it’s Nationwide and there are fewer people available for many reasons.

Michael Hogan said he believes there are towns and cities that have additional fees for staying in them. He said they help to support Fire, Police, etc. and he believes we need to seriously start looking at something like this. He said he’s not sure how it works or is administered but feels strongly about it. It was stated these are called Impact Fees.

Mr. Hogan then spoke about a Town Rep to North Country Council and wondered if our last one had resigned. The Board mentioned if there was anyone on the current Planning Board who would be interested in doing it. Selectman Moroney said she was on the Transportation Committee at one time but there really was nothing of interest or functional for this Town as it was for safe routes to school; as well as discussing trains and buses for transportation, neither of which is in our town. Mr. Hogan said he would recommend that North Country Council come to tell us what they do for us, why we should have a Rep there, etc. Chairman Scalley said he will give them a call.

Greg Hogan said at the last meeting he might have misdirected his frustration at the Board and apologized if he did so. He said he just wishes that when people have issues or questions that they would come to him.

After a brief discussion, Chairman Scalley announced the next meeting would be Monday, October 1, 2018. Selectman Mycko advised the Board that he will not be here.

As there was no further business, the Board was polled and went into non-public session, per RSA 91-A-3 for Legal at 7:53 p.m. Chairman Scalley, yes; Selectman Mycko, yes; Selectman Moroney, yes.

At the close of non-public session at 8:40 p.m., Selectman Moroney moved to return to public session and seal the minutes from non-public session. Selectman Mycko seconded and the Motion passed unanimously.

There being no further discussion, Chairman Scalley made a Motion to adjourn the meeting. Selectman Mycko seconded and the Motion passed unanimously. Chairman Scalley declared the meeting ended at 8:41 p.m.